What exactly are you going to do on your mission?
I have accepted the calling to be a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints so that I may share the gospel to those who are yearning to know of the truth of the gospel. I have answers to questions that people don't even know to ask. I am going to tell people where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going. I will explain to everyone that will listen why Christ is the center of the Plan of Happiness and why the Atonement that Jesus Christ has provided for us is necessary for our salvation.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Final Notes of Missionary Conference with Elder Bednar

Reminder: Elder Walker does not quote Elder Bednar word for word, but rather the message Elder Walker personally received from the conference.

This is what I didn't finish from my other email weeks ago about my notes on Elder Bednar:

Character is revealed in a moment of tremendous crisis because you don't have time to prepare, who you have become shows instantly.

Who you are is much more important that what you say. Don't worry about how we present the message... It's who we have become that makes all the difference.

One of the revelations that I received is to use the technique with the blank copies of the Book of Mormon that Elder Bednar gave me and, while I'm on my mission, use that technique for those things I will be teaching such as: faith, pre-mortal life, repentance, restoration, Godhead character, etc. The other stuff such as priesthood of visions or dreams can wait till after I'm off my mission.

The doctrine to motivate people to do what they are supposed to is the atonement.

Don't try to force any revelations of blessing else a false spirit answers and we can't tell the difference between God and our own emotions.

Concerning Elder Bednar's gift of discernment, heaven orchestrates the sequence of questions

Spirit of discernment:
A lot of the time when we have a thought we don't realize that it was a prompting until after we act of it.

I (Elder Bednar) don't think Nephi would have gone the 3rd time if he didn't learn his lessons he needed to the first 2 times. (concerning getting the brass plates)

You can ask to see yourself as you really are, but don't ask unless you really mean it, because you may see things you don't like.
Scriptural phrase: "see things as they really are" -> they lead to deep real repentance. You can't have improvement through repentance w/o anguish.

I know what Elder Bednar says is true!

If "I" want to have faith so "I" can move a mountain, then it's not going to move if it's not according to God's will. If I am seeking God's will and discern by the spirit that God wants the mountain moved, then the mountain will move by my faith.

Members tend to do things as pendulums. Some general authority focuses on temple work and temple work goes up. 6 months later they focus of food storage and temple work goes down and food storage does up. Don't you think they still want you to remember what they said before?

2 questions to answer from time with Elder Bednar:

Q1 Based upon what I have learned, observed, and felt today, what will I do?
Q2  (same as questions 1 but I -> we, for companionship)

Apostalic promise: work as hard as I can and we'll receive courage..... (There was more to it but I didn't write it down because he asked us to put away our notes so we don't make a ruckus of putting things away during his testimony).

No comments:

Post a Comment