What exactly are you going to do on your mission?
I have accepted the calling to be a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints so that I may share the gospel to those who are yearning to know of the truth of the gospel. I have answers to questions that people don't even know to ask. I am going to tell people where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going. I will explain to everyone that will listen why Christ is the center of the Plan of Happiness and why the Atonement that Jesus Christ has provided for us is necessary for our salvation.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Life of a Missionary


I had an interesting week. I stepped large piles of dog poo at least 4 times. I got stung in my eye (lid) from a bee and it didn't get swollen up till the next day (still itches). I wrote in my journal every night (you should be proud of me!). My companion got hit by a car (just barley though, the car just tapped his bike (wasn't his fault, I saw the whole thing, nobody got hurt, no damages done, car just wasn't looking (and was at a red light)). We now only have two elders that live in Goose Creek (two Spanish elders went to Argentina today and we got to keep the car.) We have a car now for minimum 3 weeks (3 weeks till transfers when they will probably add two more Spanish elders back.) I went on a three day exchange with three different missionaries. Our Japanese investigator is set in stone for baptism on the 18th. She's all prepared.

I'll have to tell you about my Thursday and Friday exchange. (I told Alexandria I'd do a good job on particularly Friday.) I was with Elder Parker (my former companion), and Elder Kerr. All of our companions went to a LTM (leadership training meeting) in Columbia. I ran into more negative people those two days than any other days on my mission. We got kicked out of a particular apartment complex twice when we never intended to knock on a door anyway, but just were passing though to get out, and come back (because we live behind it so need to go through), we had several angry people that told us we weren't Christians, others that wanted to bash, and others again that told us that they don't want to ever see us knocking on their door. It was kind of weird because since I came into Goose Creek I hadn't met any negative people at all, none. (Although, we were only in our area for half of Thursday, my area/ward is the smallest in our stake.) Nevertheless, I kept a positive attitude during the whole of it, and I talked to everybody I saw, I stayed enthusiastic about missionary work, I was bold and loving in all I said, and it was a great two days. It's all about attitude, it really is. I'm glad I had that privilege to go out and see those people, it helped me understand what to do in the future if anything like that happens again. A particular guy we talked to when we approached had his buddy that left immediately when they saw we were headed their way. They were both smoking (not very inviting looking guys) and we started speaking to them and found out that he had just gone through a divorce, was looking for a job, though was financially secure at the moment, and a couple other things and he wasn't interested at first, but the more we talked the more he felt that he needed this gospel, through powerful testimony and through the dedication that he saw in us, his heart was softened a lot, you could see it in him as we talked, it was really cool. We also saw lots of other cool people those two days and made some great return appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment