What exactly are you going to do on your mission?
I have accepted the calling to be a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints so that I may share the gospel to those who are yearning to know of the truth of the gospel. I have answers to questions that people don't even know to ask. I am going to tell people where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going. I will explain to everyone that will listen why Christ is the center of the Plan of Happiness and why the Atonement that Jesus Christ has provided for us is necessary for our salvation.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Goodbye, Elder Walker!

Elder Walker with his parents.
Today was the day my brother was set apart.

My siblings woke up earlier than early in order to make a special breakfast for my brother. They made him pancakes with strawberries, raspberries and whipped topping along with freshly squeezed orange juice. They weren't even home when he ate it because they left for seminary. We met them at the church building after everything was ready to go.

My aunt and uncle, our bishop with his son, another very recently ordained Elder and our family all fit into the Stake President's office. Before my brother was set apart, the Stake President asked if any of us had advice to share with him, recognizing the fact that a setting apart goes very quickly.

First the Bishop stated that he's known Elder Walker for so many years that he doesn't remember the exact number. He just knows that Elder Walker was once a lot shorter. But that it's been great to see him grow into the man he's becoming. He also wished Elder Walker to remember the great support system he has.

Elder Walker and the Stake President.
Then my mother mentioned something my Grandfather once said. That as a missionary you're teaching others something they already know, but have forgotten. Teaching them the gospel should give them a sense of coming home.

My father then informed Elder Walker how so extremely proud he was of him. He continued, expressing his love for his son. One that he's so glad and lucky to have. He knows that Elder Walker will be a great missionary.

Then, the youngest in the room, my youngest brother who's really close to the oldest brother, said, "If you'll be as good of a missionary as a brother, you'll be a great missionary. And baptize like 50 thousand people."

The Stake President concluded with how, before his setting apart, we are already praying for the him. But, once they're set apart, they have numerous members throughout the world kneeling down in prayer for the missionaries.

We then drove Elder Walker and Elder Fischer to the airport and sent them on their way for the next two years. They'll both be great. We wish them the best of luck and will always keep them in our prayers.

Elder Walker and Elder Fischer waving goodbye.

P.S. If you'd like the address of a missionary in order to write them, please contact me. I have a list of them that would love to hear from any of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment