What exactly are you going to do on your mission?
I have accepted the calling to be a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints so that I may share the gospel to those who are yearning to know of the truth of the gospel. I have answers to questions that people don't even know to ask. I am going to tell people where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going. I will explain to everyone that will listen why Christ is the center of the Plan of Happiness and why the Atonement that Jesus Christ has provided for us is necessary for our salvation.

Monday, January 30, 2012

In the 11th Week in the Field...

Elder Walker reported a bit of service, enjoying the life of a missionary, saw a new part of South Carolina and also experiencing crazy weather like the rest of America.
Thursday night we walked/pushed a very agile man in a wheel chair back to his house because he was lost and trying to find it all day. Saturday night we stopped by his house (about 8:50pm is when we stopped by) and committed him to coming to stake conference (yesterday). Well, nobody would answer their phone probably because they were in the adult session of stake conference that occurred Saturday night. So we called lots of people Sunday morning and finally found a ride for him to be picked up at 9am for the 10am session of stake conference. What makes matters worse is that he didn't have a phone . . . and did I mention that he's in a wheelchair and lives a long way away? Anyway, it all worked out. 
Sunday morning at about 4:30 our fire alarm went off. Normal mornings when our alarm goes off we all get up and go to the table out in the front room to ensure that people get out of their bed for a morning district prayer. Elder Hancock got up, walked around the apartment to make sure there was no fire in the halls or anything, turned off the heater, so we all went back to bed (some didn't even get up). Well it went off again, and again and again, about every 2 min. After that we finally were annoyed enough to look thoroughly for a source of setting the smoke alarm off and had turned on the lights we discovered that lots of smoke was in the apartment but still no fire (not black smoke, more like kitchen fire smoke, but everywhere) and you could smell it everywhere... there wasn't any smoke in our room though.
Elder Thayne called president and he basically said, "what are you calling me for?" Then he called 911 we had 3 firetrucks, a police car and two ambulances show up pretty fast, we went around to all of our neighbors and rang the doorbells and knocked but nobody got up until the firetruck stopped outside the building, lol. We weren't knocking frantically because there wasn't any fire to be seen, but it's still funny nobody got up. The police told Elder Thayne on the phone that we could go ahead and pack important things into our bags and then to wait outside till the firetruck got there. Elder Winger, as he is
leaving this upcoming Wednesday (two days), had everything already sort of organized for what he wanted to take and packed up everything in like 3 minutes and took it outside, it was pretty funny to think about later. Turns out there had been lots of dust that was sitting in the heater part and caught fire and spread throughout the apartment making it fill with smoke. It didn't come into our room because our door was closed and our vent was closed. One reason we thought it wasn't the heater was because Elder Hancock had turned it off the very first time the alarm went off, it was just blowing the smoke around of the already burnt stuff after that. The first picture I took was about 5:10am Sunday morning. 
Today, a member of our ward took Elder Winger and I to a plantation, his favorite place in all South Carolina, because he didn't want Elder Winger to go home without us first going to it. He had a membership so could take one person for free and paid for the other one of us. What a nice guy. Anyway, but that's why I didn't email this morning, I was at the "Middleton Place" plantation from 10am to 1pm ish. Lots of history about slaves and stuff. I took lots of pictures from there. lots and lots. 
The weather here has been very strange. We have had days in the last week that broke 80 degrees and other days where it's been very cold. The weather fluctuates a lot here. This is probably the warmest January this place has had in a bunch of years considering last year it snowed 7 or so inches around Christmas.